Tuesday 12 June 2012

Breath Music

During a workshop with Yogi Vishvketu this weekend at Prana, a student asked about whether teachers should play music during yoga class. He laughed, and said, "I think, it is a western thing. The breath is your music."


I love that. We all have a built-in soundtrack. And when we "tune in" and listen, or crank up the volume and vibrations, you can bet your internal composer's mixing timeless classic beats!


Without the breath we die and decompose and turn back into our elemental parts. So I'd say, wherever the breath comes from, and wherever it goes, it's a gift of the present that we're pretty blessed to receive. 






So this week's theme in my classes will be Making Music with Mindful Breathing. During my hatha class at Yoga Within Monday night the studio space was a veritable soundscape of symphonic beauty. Who knew a simple breath had the power to serenade your soul?


Without the breath, it's not yoga, we say. That said, I still love getting down dog to my latest playlist of sweet vibes and groovy soul beats.


Here are a few songs that I'm loving right now, that you're sure to hear in my classes these days:


Better People ~ Xavier Rudd
Blessed to be a Witness ~ Ben Harper 
Yellow ~ Vitamin String Quartet. Album: Strung out (Coldplay)
Disposition ~ Tool
Love is My Religion ~ Ziggy Marley






Come join me Wednesday afternoon (4:30-5:30 p.m) for Hatha at Salus Center, 10118 79 St, Friday morning (9-10:30 a.m) at Holy Trinity, 10037 84 Ave. - or next Monday for Hatha (5:45-7) or Fun Flow to Music (7:15-8:30 p.m.) at Yoga Within, 9014 75 St.


Peace.













No comments:

Post a Comment